[WikiEN-l] I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Feb 23 02:14:14 UTC 2004

Allan-
>> I've said it before and I'll say it again. Jimbo needs to
>> officially sanction our revert policy and sysops should be allowed
>> to ban users for 24 hours if they violate it.

> After all I've laid out - you want to ban him for a mere 24 hours?

I want to ban him for 24 hours every time he gets into an edit war.
Hopefully, that way he will learn that he has to use the discussion page
instead of trying to bully people into preferring his version.

As for a permanent ban, I think a quick route to the arbitration committee
should exist. But keep in mind that for a ban to be effective, the other
person needs to be at least somewhat sane. There are cases like Michael or
142.177, mentally diseased individuals who will not be deterred by a ban
and operate under such a wide range of IP addresses that a complete IP ban
would affect many legitimate users. There are good reasons to believe that
we keep dealing with the same people under different names. It may be more
effective to integrate them into a community in some way.

The other thing we need is a clearly defined decision making process. I'm
thinking about a [[Wikipedia:]] page which defines recommended discussion
periods for minor and major issues. After the discussion period any user
would be allowed to call for a binding vote. I want to get Jimbo out of
the loop for most binding decision, not because I don't trust him but
because he simply can't keep up with making critical decisions in a 500K
article 50 language project.

I hope you will reconsider your decision to leave the project and work
with me in establishing these required norms and policies.

All best,

Erik