[WikiEN-l] "Special Permission" flag, or not?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 12:04:01 UTC 2004

Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
>It seems to me that the only sensible solution to
>the image problems we being discussed is the
>tagging of images as "GNU FDL" or "fair use".

Yes - either tagging or database segregation is the right thing to do. But it
isn't as simple as GFDL vs fair use. There are other free licenses and public
domain files. 'Fair use' also has different levels since it depends on the
*use* - some uses (such as stills from TV or a movie) would be fair to have in
articles no matter what the use of the article is. Other things (such as a
complex diagram from a recently-published textbook) is only going to be fair
use for non-commercial educational purposes (which may not be compatible with
the spirit of the FDL).

But IANAL.

-- mav