[WikiEN-l] Fair use in the UK

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Feb 19 15:25:27 UTC 2004

Jimmy-
> It has been called to my attention that the concept of "fair use" may
> be significantly more restricted in the UK than in the US, to the
> point that most of what is fair use in the US may not be in the UK.

Wikipedia is hosted in the United States. US copyright law applies, and US
law recognizes the concept of fair use. UK third parties who want to re-
use our material merely need an easy way to filter out those images,
that's all. We should probably also have some procedure for determining
whether an image truly is fair use, i.e. a discussion phase that every
such image must undergo where arguments for and against the matter are
heard.

Regards,

Erik