[WikiEN-l] Re: DNA article :-)

Anthere anthere8 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 01:29:47 UTC 2004

Dan Drake a écrit:
> Today the DNA article has an interesting status:
>
> It's on Featured Articles
>
> It's protected (and properly says it is) because of edit wars.
>
> It's on the list of requests for removal from Featured Articles.

> The sysops and the committees have a whole lot of work and don't need
> more, but I wonder if a consensus might be possible on this: Any article
> that's showing a dispute-header is presumed to be a poor advertisement for
> the high quality of Wikipedia and must not be Featured until the problem
> is solved.
>
> Would it be too dangerous if some level-headed people were authorized to
> remove such an article immediately from the list without waiting for the
> complete process at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_article_candidates
> ?
> Of course the action would be noted in the necessary places, such as F_a_c
> itself. The idea is just that action could be taken without a barrage of
> complaints about exceeding authority and bypassing process, if we granted
> this authority in advance.
>
> I suggest giving the authority to people holding the status of Bureaucrat,
> for which I hereby second Uncle Ed's nomination.

I agree with the suggestion to temporarily remove from featured articles
those in edit war.

But
? I wonder what the relation is between sysop being able to made people
sysop, and people being trusted enough to bypass classical processes.

Indeed, if so, if an additional level of trust is required to do this, I
guess we just added a real layer in the power tree this week. What will
be the next power added to bureaucrats ?

At the same time, I can't help thinking, that it is a sign, that now, we
can't really trust sysops any more really, if we ask bureaucrat to do
sensible work ;-)