[WikiEN-l] Re: Anonymous proxies (was Re: Desysop Morwen)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 03:24:09 UTC 2004

Tim wrote:
>Sunir Shah has suggested a method for making it blindingly
>obvious that a user is about to edit anonymously. Specifically,
>if the user is logged out, a username/password box is shown
>on the edit page. I made a mockup of this for demostration
>purposes, at:
>
>http://www.ph.unimelb.edu.au/~tstarling/EditPage_with_login.html

Neat! But it does make the very important copyright agreement text harder to
see. Perhaps removing the save button and forcing anons to preview first would
help. The preview screen would have a save button but the login prompt would be
removed.

That would have a triple positive benefit:
1) It reminds people with accounts to log-in
2) It gently nudges anons to create an account
3) It would cut down on experiment-type vandalism, slow down anon vandals, and
teach anons about the preview feature.

-- mav