[WikiEN-l] BAN MORWEN!

Jake Nelson jnelson at soncom.com
Sat Feb 14 23:53:33 UTC 2004

anti anti wrote:
> MORWEN KEEPS BLOCKING ME! WHY?
>
> WHEN I ADDED SOME LINKS TO OPPOSING VIEWS IN AN ARTICLE, MORWEN RE-BANNED
> ME! MORWEN SHOULD BE DESYSOPED ASAP!
>
> I AM NOT A VANDAL. I TRY TO BALANCE THE EXCESS COMMERCIALIZATION AND ADS
IN
> WIKIPIDIA!
>
> IF YOU CONTINUE THIS PRACTICE YOU WILL PROVE THAT WIKIPIDIA IS NOT OPEN
AND
> CENSORS OPPOSING VIEWS!
>
> ANTICAPITALIST

Despite your evidently irrational state, I'm moderately amused, and as such,
will give you some real advice:
#1. Using all caps never helps your credibility. You either come across as
unknowledgeable about text-media communication, or attempting to "shout".
Those of us who spend a lot of time communicating in text-only fora tend to
find "shouting" uncomfortable, almost as if someone were really shouting at
us.

#2: An advertisement is something that attempts to induce those who view it
to do business with whomever it advertises. Something that gives factual,
neutral information about a company is an article, not an advertisement.

#3: If, going by a previous message, you think anarchism is "truth", or that
anarchism leads to anything except taking all the constraints off of
capitalism, you are terribly ignorant.

#4: Adding an 'opposing views' section with a list of anti-corporate topics
to every company's page is a very silly idea. Now, if you wanted to do this,
the sane way would be this: "Company X is a [[corporation]] that makes
widgets..." or something similar. Then, in the article [[Corporation]], you
would add a section something like:
== Anti-corporate philosophy ==
There is an ideology that corporations are inherently bad. Those who
subscribe to it (many of whom call themselves [[anarchist]]s or
[[anticapitalist]]s) often oppose globalization and free trading.

Just off the top of my head, anyway. (I haven't actually looked at the
corporation article, but it probably has something like this already.)

#5: The following, from your contributions lists, among others, are simply
unacceptable, even if you weren't wrong (which you are):
07:53, 2004 Feb 11 User:Angela (angela is a troll!)
00:57, 2004 Jan 23 Atlantic City, New Jersey (THE WIKIPEDIA RULES SAY NO
FUCKING COMMERCIALIZATION! STOP PUTTING IT IN ASSHOLES!)
20:21, 2004 Jan 21 Atlantic City, New Jersey (took out commercialization
again because it doesn't fucking belong there! what is wrong with you prick
assholes don't you know how to read the motherfucking rules?)
16:27, 2004 Jan 20 Atlantic City, New Jersey (took out commercialization
because it doesn't fucking belong there!)
17:48, 2004 Jan 12 World Series of Poker (why doesnt some one ban this
fucker for vandalism)
17:44, 2004 Jan 12 World Series of Poker (not on my watch fucker!)

Etcetera. When working somewhere you're fairly new to, if a large number of
people repeatedly act to undo your actions, perahps you shouldn't shout that
they're violating its policies, and instead look to see whether /you/ are.

In conclusion, calm down, take some deep breaths, try to think about why you
have irrational and excessive reactions to being corrected, and figure out
how you're going to operate successfully in a world where capitalism will
exist as long as humanity does.

-- Jake