[WikiEN-l] the proliferation of ridiculous titular naming schemes

James Duffy jtdire at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 14 19:28:41 UTC 2004

The problem is that most people where titles are not used see them as some
form of foppish irrelevance and don't understand that people in states with
titles are often known at different points of their career by personal name
only, by title and by a combination of both. It would be nutty, for example,
to write an article about 'Henry Coyningham'. He is known variously as Henry
Mountcharles, Lord Mountcharles and the Earl of Mountcharles. To stop people
writing 'Henry Coyningham' to provocatively cause confusion (as part of
their campaign against titles) he ended up having to change his name by
deedpoll to Henry Mountcharles but that too doesn't stop confusion among
those who have never heard or don't remember his first name but know 'Lord
Mountcharles' as the guy who holds rock concerts at Slane Castle and is an
Irish politician.

The same is true of the man who at various times was the historian and
politician Frank Pakenham and the historian and politician Lord Longford or
the Earl of Longford. No-one of my generation know him as Frank Pakenham
because we only ever heard of him as Lord Longford. But my grandfather and
father's generation knew him primarily as Frank Pakenham. And you have to
indicate which Lord Longford he was because a number of people held the
title and his brother, the prevous Lord Longford, was a famous impressario
while his son the current Lord Longford is also like his father a historian.

Delirium's arguments here as elsewhere are simplistic and show no
understanding whatsoever the the fact that there is often no such thing as a
person's name, but a series of names and titles interlocked that have to be
used to create maximum recognition among those who depending on their age
may have heard of someone referred to by any number of combination of names
and titles. It was the same rubbish that made Wikipedia initially a laughing
stock when it decided to put in the current Prince of Wales as 'Charles
Windsor' (and they couldn't even get that bit right, his personal name is
actually Charles Mountbatten-Windsor). And you can just see everyone copping
on to who Victoria Wettin is! (That was Queen Victoria's marital name. Her
Royal House name was Saxe-Coburg. Her title was 'Queen of the United Kingdom
of Great Britain and Ireland'.)

Putting the correct article name on the Prince of Wales's article involved a
war with 'no titles here' brigade who didn't understand that vast numbers of
people outside the US do know people by title and leaving out title is
completely unworkable and simplistic. And 'most commonly recognised' is not
an option in an enclopaedia in all cases; there has not been such a person
as 'Prince Charles' since February 1952 when his titles changed to Duke of
Cornwall, later to Lord Rothesay and Prince of Wales. And though she was
called it a billion times, there never was such a person as 'Princess
Diana', she was actually simply 'The Princess of Wales' or 'Diana
Mountbatten-Windsor'.

Delirium's well meaning arguments are in fact simplistic, mis-informed and
completely unworkable. Wikipedia's job is not to push agendas but do deal
with was 'is'. Titles exist and are a necessary requirement in many cases.
That does not mean in using them we 'approve' of their use, just reflect the
fact that they exist. Using them is NPOV. Choosing because you don't like
them that they should not be used is pushing your POV. And the last time I
checked, Wikipedia is against pushing POVs.

JT