[WikiEN-l] NPOV vs. moral relativism

Sascha Noyes sascha at pantropy.net
Thu Feb 12 18:16:06 UTC 2004

On Thursday 12 February 2004 01:07 pm, Poor, Edmund W wrote:
> Jimbo and Larry's NPOV policy does not say that right and wrong are to
> be decided by the individual. It says (and this is a crucial
> distinction) that when matters of fact are in dispute, the Wikipedia
> won't endorse one side as correct. It also says that Wikipedia won't
> endorse one philosophical or religious viewpoint as correct. Same with
> moral or ethical judgments.

In the first sentence, do you use "right" and "wrong" in the context of
morality, or in the context of truth? If the former, then I disagree with
that sentence - If the latter, then I agree with it.

(I'd also be more interested to hear your take on the arguments I made against
your position, and not those of some website) :)

Best,
Sascha Noyes
--
Please encrypt all email. Public key available from
www.pantropy.net/snoyes.asc