[WikiEN-l] Relativism and PC (was: The integrity of Wikipedia)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Feb 12 17:33:23 UTC 2004

>>The doctrine that there is no absolute truth is usually called
"relativism". Bloom estimated that over 90% of incoming freshman at
America's best colleges subscribed to this doctrine. So it's an
important issue to consider at Wikipedia.

>Really?  Did he give figures on how many had thought better of it by
the end of the 'best colleges'?  Does this tell one much about anything,
except that teenagers might still have a little to learn?  (Design of
questionnaire to test this: 'Is relativism correct?  Answer (a) Yes (b)
No (c) Whatever.)

LOL. His "Closing of the American Mind" didn't provide statistics.

It was almost entirely a plea that relativism should not take over the
academy, lest openness be used as a dodge to fetter us all. Then the
poor bloke died. :-(

Anyway, the PC article could use a little work. It needs a balance
between liberal and conservative views of PC-ness. Liberals mostly deny
that PC even exists, so it might be tricky. I guess the best strategy is
to quote conservatives a lot, then wait for other contributors to
provide the liberal rebuttal. But I don't relish wading into that swamp.

Ed