[WikiEN-l] Feature request: hide "Save" button for newbies

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Feb 10 18:25:52 UTC 2004

Sheldon and Geoff suggest:

> > But anons and new users do have a tendency to save without first
> > previewing. I would therefore support the removal of the Save button

> > from the initial edit screens presented to anons. Only after they
> > previewed once would they be presented with the save button.

> That is such a simple & brilliant solution that I wonder why no
> one else has thought of it until now. Such a change would not be a
> serious barrier to someone who wanted to make the contribution
> without logging in: the forum on Linux Weekly News requires a preview
> step for its members to submit input, & I'd say that place has a high
> signal-to-noise ratio. It would also encourage the creation of more
> accounts, which would draw more people in.

Developers, please hide the "Save" button for newbies (like IP users and
those recently signed-in) -- thus requiring them to PREVIEW each page
submitted. (Un-hide the button, of course on the preview page :-)

We can try the experiment for a couple of weeks, and see if it has good
effects. What do you say?

Ed Poor
Wikien-l Admin