[WikiEN-l] Articles about small religious sects, concern about accuracy and NPOV

Andries Krugers Dagneaux andrieskd at chello.nl
Sat Feb 7 07:59:28 UTC 2004

Hello all,
I am quite new here in wikipedia. I know a lot about gurus, small sects
and cults. I noticed that the articles here in this wikipedia are often
written by the followers of these gurus, sects and cults or the
information on the webpages of these religious organization is
uncritically accepted by other members and written down as a NPOV
article in wikipedia.

I think this is a wrong and dangerous thing to do. This leads to false
information because these groups are often self deceived and do a lot of
propaganda & rewriting history. Because so few people know about these
groups the information is rarely checked. Examples of disinformation
that I have seen here on wikipedia are Sathya Sai Baba, Sai Baba of
Shirdi, Eckankar, Theosophy, ISCKCON/ Hare Krisnha. I have already
adjusted the first three groups and I will try to adjust other articles
but I have limited time.

I would like to ask all members to help in this by staying alert and
comparing the current articles with independent scholarly articles and
testimonies of ex-members of these groups.

Thanks in advance and kind regards, Andries Krugers Dagneaux