[WikiEN-l] Status of mediation

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Feb 6 14:48:59 UTC 2004

KNOTT, T wrote:
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen is the mediator between myself and Mr NH. The
>process has stalled for the time being. Mr. NH has not agreed
>mediation of his behavior anyway, he wants to go directly to
>arbitration over that as (presumably) he feels he didn't do anything
>wrong.

If Mr. NH has not agreed to mediation, then I personally think
mediation is over.  Mediation has to be a consensual process.

But I will wait until I get further confirmation before referring it
to the arbitration committee.

>I feel I should say that Mr. NH is behaving himself at the moment -
>not being rude or abusive to anyone as far as I am aware, but of the
>course [[Alternative medicine]] is still protected at the moment o
>there is little to fight over.

Since mediation/arbitration takes a bit of time, and always will, I
think we should not take such things into account so much when it
really is time for arbitration.  In mediation, yes, better behavior
can be a wonderful grounds for reconciliation and positive change.

But if anyone can avoid a ban by being a jerk up until such time as it
looks like they're going to get in trouble, and then playing nice and
saying "Oh, o.k., I'll be good now", we'll just see that behavior.

--Jimbo