[WikiEN-l] It's not anarchy (was: unilateral bans of controversial users)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Feb 6 14:17:00 UTC 2004

Tim,

I respectfully disagree: we DO NOT have anarchy.

It's a benevolent dictatorship, moving gradually to a parliamentary
democracy.

Jimbo is the leader.

Developers (like you!) hold most of the reins of power.

Admins (over 100 now!!) have access to "ban buttons" but have "limited
authority" to use them.

Signed in users are the Middle Class.

Anonymous (IP) users are the Lower Class.

Jimbo is amazingly different from a GodKing (as described on Meatball
Wiki). He subscribes to the principle that "government is best which
governs least", but when push comes to shove he has occasionally put his
foot down -- I know, awful metaphor ;-)

Developers almost always keep quiet and implement software features
which seem to have consensus. No one ever complains about THEM!

Last year saw an explosion of admins; most of the active ones now have
been around less than one year (this is a, what? 3-year-old project).
They can delete or restore an entire page (with its edit history) and --
recently -- can ban a signed-in user for 24 hours. (It's only one day,
right?) This temporary ban is really only supposed to be for
emergencies, but Jimbo issue a Decree of Clemency for the bans of the
last few weeks: let's start fresh!

I'm just as frightened by the emergence of a new government as anyone
else, but I know a few things:

* Wikimedia will continue to run Wikipedia.
* The text is all GPL'ed, so there's no way the encyclopedia can be
"taken over" by commercial or ideological interests.
* Everyone on the 2 committees has a proven track record of genuine
concern for both the product and the process, i.e., the goal of creating
a superb free encyclopedia and the goal of maintaining a pleasant
"workplace" for volunteers.

Ed Poor, aka Uncle Ed