[WikiEN-l] Fair use

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Feb 6 14:06:52 UTC 2004

Delirium wrote:
> See [[meta:Do fair use images violate the GFDL?]] for additional
> discussion on this point.

I think that your position, and that of Anthony, is mistaken.  I have
discussed this with experts, and frankly, not only did they think this
was mistaken, they seemed bemused that I should ask such a silly
question in the first place.

Further discussion of this should take place on wikilegal-l, but I do
recommend that people read the comment I just added on the page
Delirium cited above.

The essential point is that the GNU FDL is not a restriction that
authors impose on users that goes beyond copyright, but instead is a
conditional giving up of restrictions normally imposed by copyright.

--Jimbo