[WikiEN-l] RE: defining the free encyclopedia

Eric B. Rakim eric_b_and_rakim at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 30 19:58:20 UTC 2004

>In dealing with matters like this to what extent do we protect
>downstream users?  Should we go ahead and include the text, and add a
>warning that a downstream user republishes the material at his own risk?

I believe that there is always a risk to any publisher to publish anything.
Free speech is only skin deep. I also think that Wikipedia should allow all
media that should be public domain but for some strange copyright
strangeness isn't. Like Max Planck's speech and Mein Kampf. Or like all
those images that have become a part of the world heritage but are still
claimed copyright on. Like the pic of the WTC towers burning and the Che pic
just to take two examples out of tens of thousands. I know that that is way
to radical position for Wikipedia but that's what I feel about the issue.