[WikiEN-l] Re: Template/taxobox mess-up!

Pete/Pcb21 pete_pcb21_wpmail at pcbartlett.com
Sun Aug 29 11:44:26 UTC 2004

Timwi wrote:

> Pete/Pcb21 wrote:
>
>> Timwi wrote:
>>
>>> {{Taxobox | color = pink | name = Domestic Dog |
>>>  image = [[...]] | regnum = [[Animal]]ia | ... etc. ... }}
>>

>> We would if we could. See ToL talk for more.
>

> Can I regard this as an official statement that you will not mind those
> multi-template boxes breaking when a new parser is introduced that will
> support the "correct" way? :)
>
> If that is the case, then that will make my job for the new parser way
> easier.

Firstly, those who have worked on ToL taxoboxes would I am sure fall
deeply in love with anyone who implements optional parameters to
templates, otherwise the method you suggest for taxobox templates is
completely impossible (not all species have images, authors, particular
levels of taxa etc etc) so a single taxobox without optional parameters
does not work (and the number of different taxoboxes required grows
exponentially).

Having said that, if you are planning to break the existing code, which
is a perfectly "correct" use of the existing functionality, I am sure
people will very much do the opposite of love you! :)

Pete