[WikiEN-l] Mosque as military target

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.org
Fri Aug 27 21:38:31 UTC 2004

Christiaan Briggs stated for the record:

> On 27 Aug 2004, at 10:17 pm, Sean Barrett wrote:
>> you are ignoring nearly a century of international law declaring the
>> exact opposite of what you think.
>

> I'm hardly ignoring it, I started my sentence with it. I'm certainly
> disputing its morality however. If you'd like to respond to my argument
> you're welcome.

I -- or rather, the signatories of the Hague Convention of 1907 -- have
already responded to your argument.  To repeat: mosques, like all other
religious edifices, are to be spared by any attacker "provided they are
not being used at the time for military purposes."  The moment the
Iraqis -- however noble their cause -- took weapons into their mosque
the Americans -- however despicable their cause -- became justified in
attacking it.  The decision of the Nuremberg Tribunal has no bearing on
this principle.