[WikiEN-l] Image of Gandhi

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Fri Aug 27 07:37:58 UTC 2004

Dear Danavir,

You recently enquired about the copyright situation as regards a Gandhi
image on our site and requested permission for reuse.
I saw our fellow contributor Aevar Arnfjoerd Bjarmason
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:%c6var_Arnfj%f6r%f0_Bjarmason) has
already replied as follows (please read on below):

On 26 Aug 2004, at 23:02, wikien-l-request at Wikipedia.org wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:05:25 +0200
> From: ?var Arnfj?r? Bjarmason <avarab at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Image of Gandhi
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mahatma_Gandhi.jpg
>
> "This image may not have information on its source. It may be usable
> under fair use but this has yet to be verified. It might be public
> domain or under a licence compatible with the GNU FDL. To the
> uploader: Please provide licensing information as soon as possible.
> Images without this information may be deleted in the future. If you
> want to publish an image as fair use, please list it on Wikipedia:Fair
> use."
>
> We do not know.

In case you are already familiar with the details of how our system
works, please disregard this message.
In case you might not be, please allow me to explain:

- Wikipedia is a volunteer-driven effort. There currently are no full
time employees.
- One of our effective operating principles is to lower any bars to
entry as much as possible, if not to outright abolish them.
- As part of this philosophy, and contrary to what it possible with
paper-based works, editorial review of any contribution, including
images takes place /after/ publication.
- Any freely registered user thus can technically upload and submit any
image file of his or her choosing and it will be available online right
away.
- Submitters are however required to adhere to our copyright terms,
which including our image guidelines
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights#Image_guidelines).
This is further explained by our _Image use policy_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Image_use_policy) and by our
_Uploading images_ article
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Uploading_images). Our terms
contain a clear requirement that the uploader ensure compliance with
copyright legislation AND explain why the image is copyright law
compliant AND also classify the rationale for legal use of the
respective image through the use of an appropriate tag. Again, the
legal responsibility to ensure copyright compliance lies squarely with
the submitter.
- It is only /after/ such submissions are made that these uploaded
images go through various review processes (e.g. listing and review at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Imagelist) to verify that they
meet our standards (which includes adherence to copyright regulations).
- If violations are confirmed, any offending images are _permanently_
deleted, unlike other submitted content, which remains available via
article history pages.
- Because such deletions are permanent and because the responsibility
for ensuring copyright compliance lies squarely with the submitter, we
are sometimes cautious about deleting images in cases of doubt.

Finally:
- In the case of the picture you asked us for permission about, the
contributor has so far failed to classify and explain the uploaded
image's copyright compliance.
- With virtually all images on the Wikipedia, you can check their
respective copyright and submission details just by clicking on them in
the article, which should take you to an image descriptor page.
- In case of the Gandhi image, that page is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mahatma_Gandhi.jpg. This contains
the text which Aevar Arnfjoerd Bjarmason included in his email (see
above).
- From this page, it can be seen that the submitter was our fellow
contributor Netoholic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Netoholic). I
am contacting him for clarification via his Talk page. (This is
something you could have done do directly as well -- you can leave him
a message
(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=User_talk:
Netoholic&action=edit&section=new) on his Talk page
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Netoholic). That goes for any
user.

- I am asking Netoholic to get back to you direct, but because of the
volunteer nature of our project there is no guarantee that he does so
(in time).

- Until Netoholic has confirmed the copyright situation, we would
strongly suggest for you NOT to use the respective Gandhi image as the
legality of its use is not presently clear to ourselves. (That is
unless you were to find out from other sources that the image can
legally be freely used. In this latter case -- or if you find out that
it CANNOT be used, we would be rather grateful to be notified as well.)
If you were to re-use the image without further enquiries, you would be
doing so entirely at your own risk.

Please accept my apologies for a lengthy email relating a complex
procedural and legal framework and please understand that in the
absence of more information we cannot grant permission for reuse of the
image. Indeed, if we do not receive such clarification, the image is
likely to sooner or later get deleted from our own servers as our
fellow Wikipedians follow our continual review processes.

Yours sincerely,

Jens
Wikipedia contributor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ropers