[WikiEN-l] RE: WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 66

Eric B. Rakim eric_b_and_rakim at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 22:22:08 UTC 2004

Search for George Washington on www.google.com. There doesn't seem to be any
stuff about George Washington's underwear on the internet that Google has
indexed. But there are some stuff about George Washington's penis (go
figure) so we have that as example. With the search "George Washington" you
will not encounter anything about his penis in the 100,000 first hits or so.
The reason is that Google manages to figure out that there are atleast
100,000 pages that are more releveant to the search George Washington then
the pages about George Washington's penis.

I don't know why Google in almost all cases seem to, almost magically, to
figure out what you were looking for. One reason appears to be that Google
rates pages that many pages link to higher, and therefore kinda exploits
what other humans thinks are relevant. Google's search algorithm is a secret
and there are many more around that knows much more and can explain it much
better. See also [[Googlebomd]].

In anyway, the argument that bad articles will cripple the search function,
is false.