[WikiEN-l] Re: Dartmouth follies

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 08:01:15 UTC 2004

"Having said the idea that "anybody is allowed to put whatever trash they
want to" in, is completely false and you know it.".  Exactly.  Because of those of us who feel the need to use the VfD page and its functionality, not because of those who feel that it's perfectly all right to leave garbage lying around for whenever somebody might, sometime, in the unknown future, decide that something needs to be done about it.

So, what happens when you search for "George Washington" and "George Washington's underwear" shows up?

RickK

Pete/Pcb21 <pete_pcb21_wpmail at pcbartlett.com> wrote:
Rick wrote:
> I've never understood the mentality that it's okay to keep trash
> articles around for some unknown period of time. Months, now?! Do
> you not understand what it says about Wikipedia when Google and
> Yahoo! mirror all of the crap and that's the face that Wikipedia
> presents to the world? How are we supposed to maintain even the idea
> that we're creating a real, useable encyclopedia if anybody is
> allowed to put whatever trash they want to put into it and nobody
> seems to be the least motivated to clean it up?

How does having articles of borderline interest make it unusable?
If I type "George Washington" into Google and end up at the excellent
Wikipedia article of the same name, Wikipedia has proved very usuable.
It is completely irrelevant whether a borderline article such as "George
from Rainbow" is also available *for those who search for it*

Having said the idea that "anybody is allowed to put whatever trash they
want to" in, is completely false and you know it.

Pete/Pcb21