[WikiEN-l] Rebranding VfD

Elisabeth Bauer elian at djini.de
Thu Aug 26 01:27:44 UTC 2004

dpbsmith at verizon.net wrote:

> E.g. (GROSSLY caricaturing an actual VfD debate
> for purposes of illustration) instead of saying "I've never heard of Lehman
> Brothers, what do you know about them?" a nominator is more likely to say
> something like "Vanity, some non-notable insurance company, delete spam."
> Typically there will be a more comments like that until someone with _some_
> topic familiarity runs across the VfD entry. THEN someone chimes in "The firm
> is really quite large, unless I'm very much mistaken." Then there are follow-
> ups "It's a Fortune 500 company," "Definite keep," "Keep article on major
> financial force of the twentieth century," "Need more articles like this,"
> etc.

thanks for this summary ;-) the same happens on de: in the same style.
We even have a page for this kind of stuff:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:ELKE
(is an acronym for Extreme Loeschkandidating ("Vfding") Excess Points)
where people can assign scores.

> Everybody understands the concept of submitting an article for review and
> possibly having it be rejected.  If newcomers perceive Wikiprocess as a
> variation of that model, fewer of them will be unnecessarily shocked or
> offended by the VfD process.

I think it's a rather good idea. Recently on de: we also thought about
creating a page where newbies can submit their articles for a general
review (help with formatting, encyclopedic style etc.) since some new
people asked for something like this.

greetings,
elian