[WikiEN-l] Dartmouth follies

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 05:47:55 UTC 2004

Stan, I tend to agree there is a (perhaps misplaced) sense of urgency
about having to "mop up" quickly, list things on VfD, etc. Some of it
might be arrogance or nastiness.

But I'd like to offer another interpretation - there is no confidence
these suspicious edits will be found or caught later. And that can bug
certain types of people. Of all the mechanisms Wikipedia has for
tracking changes and edits, perhaps the weakest is how to allow new
entires to linger for a specified period and grow, and then come back
to evaluate later. For many, "check it later" means "check it never."

I guess this could be cast as a finer grain interpretation of
inclusionism and deletionism.

Absolute inclusionist - any and everything should be in Wikipedia
Optimistic inclusionist - maybe not good now, but it may be, keep and
check back later
Pessimistic deletionist - may be good sometime, but delete it now, and
keep only when good
Absolute deletionist - it's not "encyclopediac", get rid of it

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)