[WikiEN-l] Re: Dartmouth class project now on VFD

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 23:25:12 UTC 2004

As someone who has used WP in teaching before, I must say the wording
of the assignment is quite terse, and likely inadequate. It's not
clear what the goal is - article writing, learning markup, interaction
with Wikipedians, learning NPOV, etc. An assignment which is too open
ended or too loosely defined results in exactly what we see - a
selection of articles (sadly) consistent with stereotypes of Dartmouth
such as beer pong, ski team, fraternities. No wonder folks early on
felt it was troll bait. :)

In the future, a better option would be to put up constraints or
"bumper guards", such as pointing to existing WP lists as a starting
point. Suggestions include:

[[Wikipedia:Most wanted stubs]]
[[Wikipedia:Most_wanted_articles]]
[[Special:Shortpages]]

Or, tell students to link in at least "N" number of articles in:
[[Wikipedia:Orphaned_Articles]]

I've started a new section with these in
[[Wikipedia:School_and_university_projects#Considerations_and_suggestions]]

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)
University of Hong Kong