[WikiEN-l] Dartmouth class project now on VFD

Anthony DiPierro anthonydipierro at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 24 13:01:00 UTC 2004

> An interesting assignment, but the teacher made a major error by requiring
> this: "Choose two topics that are appropriate", requiring a NEW article.
> That might have worked 2 years ago when for example the article,
> [[Colorado]] was a new article. But now the experience is much more about
> making existing articles better.

I can understand why the teacher would make this a rule, though.  It's much
easier to grade.

> I think a better assignment would be. Pick a Wikipedia article at least 10
> editors have edited within the last month and make an edit which
> substantially improves the article.

I think in the future a better assignment might be to pick an article from
the list of requested articles.  Or maybe even just pick a red link.

Of course, I would question the ethics of a professor forcing his students
to release their assignments under the GFDL in the first place.  Is this
even allowed under school policy?

>  Fred

Anthony