[WikiEN-l] Dartmouth class project now on VFD

Anthony DiPierro anthonydipierro at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 24 12:23:57 UTC 2004

Just wanted to bring this discussion to the mailing list, as this is "*the*
place for meta-discussions about the nature of Wikipedia."  From what I've
gathered, a Wikipedia user (possibly just a lurker as their user has not
contributed before the 20th), [[User:Pcw]] gave his class an assignment
which involved Wikipedia
(http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~cs4/S2004/hw/hw6.html).  The assignment asks
the students, who are non-majors taking a computer science class, to create
two new Wikipedia articles.  It specifically points them to [[What Wikipedia
is not]] and [[Wikipedia:Neutral point of view]].

Lots of articles were contributed, and many are now listed on VFD.  Probably
many others are not.  Those listed range from [[Dartmouth Beer Pong]], which
seems to be completely unverifiable original research, to [[Winter
Carnival]], which although ambiguously named seems like a good example of
just what Wikipedia is.  [[Newton North High School]] also looks like it's
going to survive, since we have a precedent for keeping pages about high
schools.  Others:

[[Dartmouth dodecaphonics]]
[[Dartmouth cords]]
[[Dartmouth Rockapellas]]
[[Winter Carnival]]
[[5 Die]]
[[Snell Family Farm]] (maybe)
[[Lob pong]]
[[Exit 38 climbing area]] (probably)
[[Dartmouth Wind Symphony]]
[[Chorus of Westerly]]
[[The Harlequins]]
[[Dartmouth Night]]
[[Dartmouth Mountaineering Club]]
[[Dartmouth Ski Patrol]]
[[Dartmouth Beer Pong]]
[[Dartmouth Womens Crew Team]]
[[Dartmouth film society]]
[[Dartmouth Rockapellas]]
[[Chi Gamma Epsilon]]
[[Dartmouth College Men's Reserve Team]]
[[Dartmouth broadcasting]]
[[Native Americans at Dartmouth]]
[[Newton North High School]]
[[The Hopkins Center at Dartmouth College]]

I may be missing some others.

"Delete stuff by Dartmouth people. Ambi 10:40, 24 Aug 2004 (UTC)"

That seems to sum up the current majority opinion.

Anthony