[WikiEN-l] defining Free Encyclopedia

Michael Becker mbecker at jumpingjackweb.com
Fri Aug 20 13:43:09 UTC 2004

Personally, the *free*ness of wikipedia concerns me a lot too. This was my first concern when I first submitted the image to vfd. I personally had NO political or censorship concerns. That is pretty obvious if you check out the history of the Clitoris article. In any case,  I'm also VERY concerned about the effects of using copyrighted material in the wikipedia will have on it's freeness. As I see it now though, as long as there is a hard line drawn between copyrighted and GPL material, it should be easy enough to remove. If we don't facilitate the easy removal of this content, the wikipedia is no longer free, and we have failed in our goals IMHO. At the moment, the lines drawn between free and non-free content in the wikipedia are very thin. This is a line drawn by the users , and we are essentially trusting people who upload these non-free images/content to make sure it is easy to distinguish their added content as non-free. I'm not very comfortable with this. IMNSHO, it would be better if we had some sort of hard line drawn on the software side of things between free and non-free content so that it can easily be removed in the future.

Michael Becker