[WikiEN-l] Image:TrangBang.jpg and other copyright confusion

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Wed Aug 18 19:17:13 UTC 2004

On 18 Aug 2004, at 21:08, wikien-l-request at Wikipedia.org wrote:

> Message: 11
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:06:47 -0400
> From: "Michael Becker" <mbecker at jumpingjackweb.com>
> Subject: [WikiEN-l] Image:TrangBang.jpg and other copyright confusion
> To: <wikien-l at wikipedia.org>
>
> It seems that even though decisions have already been made by Jimbo on
> the mailing list regarding free use of images, quite a lot of arguing
> is still going on in wiki-space. Image:TrangBang.jpg was just deleted
> due to votes on vfd. It was then reuploaded, and there seems to be a
> conflict between the uploader and deleter. Also, there seems to be an
> argument on Wikipedia talk:Fair use. I think that since Jimbo has
> given his (i.e. the foundations) official stance on fair use, this
> should be reflected by a policy of some sort in wiki-space. This would
> help diffuse any further disputes on the fair use issue. Otherwise, I
> don't see these disputes ever ending.

It's precisely because of this idiocy^W<swearword /> that I went ahead
and emailed the Associated Press for permission re that picture.
Only way to settle this dispute, if you're asking me.
Sadly, I haven't heard back from them (so far).

Thanks and regards,
Jens Ropers

There are two types of IT techs: The ones who watch soap operas and the
ones who watch progress bars.
http://www.ropersonline.com/elmo/#108681741955837683