[WikiEN-l] Re: you are autoblocking me

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 18:28:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:21:00 -0400, Cantus Vetustus <cantus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Look:
>
> 13:44, Aug 17, 2004, David Gerard blocked #7771 (expires 13:44, Aug
> 18, 2004) (Autoblocked because your IP address has been recently used
> by "'''Cantus'''". The reason given for Cantus's block is as follows:
> "'''[[WP:3RR]] in violation of Arbitration Committee ruling'''".)
>
> This is stupid. Everytime I try to edit an article logged in as Cantus
> (just to see if the block has expired), my IP is getting blocked for
> another 24 hours. When my original blocking time expires, I won't be
> able to edit, because the IP was reblocked for another 24 hours.
>
> You see, USER:CANTUS had an specific 24-hour block time. Any IPs
> USER:CANTUS uses under the *USER:CANTUS ACCOUNT* should only get
> blocked until the original 24-hour block of the *USER:CANTUS ACCOUNT*
> expires. Reblocking those IPs used by USER:CANTUS under the
> *USER:CANTUS ACCOUNT* is unfairly prolonguing the block for
> USER:CANTUS.
>
> It's an entirely different thing if USER:CANTUS, not logged in under
> the *USER:CANTUS ACCOUNT*, evaded the ban and actually edited an
> article with a sock puppet account or with an anonymous IP. But this
> was not the case here. In this case, USER:CANTUS was *under* the
> *USER:CANTUS ACCOUNT*, and only clicked the Edit button to see if he
> could edit, and his IP is getting reblocked for another 24-hours.

Yes, that is the system automatically resetting the clock on you as
long as you try to evade the block. If you stop trying for 24 hours,
it'll stop resetting the clock.

> If this is not fixed now, I'm talking to Jimbo.
> Sincerely,
> Cantus.

I've cc'd this to wikien-l, which should alert Jimbo to your
satisfaction. Also the developers, in case this isn't how the
autoblock is supposed to work.

(Note to all: this was after I blocked Cantus for 24 hours for
violating the Arbitration Committee verdict on his reverts - that if
he violated [[WP:3RR]], he was subject to a block. See [[Template
talk:Protected]] for the reversions in question, and see history of
[[Template:Protected]] for Cantus' edit warring.)

- d.