[WikiEN-l] WP:(...)

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Tue Aug 17 03:42:15 UTC 2004

CB low

> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 01:10:02 +0100
> Rowan Collins wrote:
>
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Jens Ropers wrote (to WikiEN-L):
>
>> Can I suggest we implement a "cover all" redirect, whereby ALL
>> [[Wikipedia:Some stuff here]] kind of links can alternatively be
>> written [[WP:Some stuff here]]?
>
> [snip]
>
>> Not all "Wikipedia:(...)" pages have "own" their redirects (meaning
>> redirects such as WP:SB), but it still seems like a good idea to
>> ALWAYS
>> allow the "Wikipedia:" bit to be abbreviated as "WP:" -- so that if
>> I'm
>> writing e.g. [[WP:Dispute resolution]], this would automatically
>> redirect/be expanded to [[Wikipedia:Dispute resolution]]. Again, I'm
>> asking whether we can do the WP: to Wikipedia: redirecting/expanding
>> stuff on a GENERIC basis. (I know it /could/ be done on an individual
>> article basis, but that's not my point.
>
> And this is even more useful for namespaces with longer names, of
> course: Wikipedia_talk: is just a pain to type!
>
>> It would help, be really convenient and it would not get in the way of
>> anything. Pages can still have actual own redirects such as [[WP:SB]].
>
> Of course, if it were a real aliasing system such as I am imagining, a
> page "called" [[WP:SB]] would actually be called [[Wikipedia:SB]], but
> I don't see that that would matter much - we'd just have to move all
> pages called WP:xxx to Wikipedia:xxx before activating the alias (with
> a bot, or a database script).

We don't actually have to move anything -- it's just a matter of
precedence during the URL resolution process:
If the WP: to Wikipedia: conversion ONLY kicked in AFTER all other
option have been tried (but before the "Wikipedia doesn't have such a
page yet - do you want to create it"-screen got resorted to, then it
would just work.
Pity I can't code.

Thanks and regards,
Jens Ropers

There are two types of IT techs: The ones who watch soap operas and the
ones who watch progress bars.
http://www.ropersonline.com/elmo/#108681741955837683