[WikiEN-l] Image:TrangBang.jpg

Michael Becker mbecker at jumpingjackweb.com
Fri Aug 13 21:13:50 UTC 2004

As you might be aware of, I was the one who originally asked for the deletion of this image. After extensive discussion on this thread http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2004-August/000822.html I changed my mind about the need for deletion. I agree with your assessment of the situation. I too look forward to Jimmy's comments on the issue, however due to the Hurricane currently flooding his house with up to 5 feet of water, I somehow doubt he will be replying any time soon :(.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:46:33 -0400, Anthony DiPierro <anthonydipierro at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Jens Ropers asked whether this is likely one of the "few rare cases" where
> we desperately need an image which is unavailable under fair use.
>
> Looking at the details, this image is used in [[Nudity]], [[Vietnam War]],
> [[Strategic bombing]], [[Kim Phuc Phan Thi]], [[History of the United States
> (1964-1980)]], and [[Huynh Cong Ut]].  I don't see any arguable "deperate
> need" for the image in any of the articles other than [[Kim Phuc Phan Thi]]
> and [[Huynh Cong Ut]], and the image is most likely fair use in those
> articles.
>
> I think we should remove the image from [[Nudity]], [[Vietnam War]],
> [[Strategic bombing]], and [[History of the United States (1964-1980)]].
> I'd suggest that we only link to it in the other articles (assuming it is
> available somewhere online outside of Wikipedia), but I could see an
> argument for keeping it, as it is essentially impossible to replace, the
> cost to buy a free license would be prohibitive (at least at Wikipedia's
> current stage of development), and it is most likely usable by at least the
> noncommercial reusers.  I don't see a problem with asking for permission to
> use the image in those two articles if we decided to keep it.
>
> Just my opinion, though.  I'd like to here Jimbo's assessment.
>
> Anthony

Michael Becker