[WikiEN-l] Wiki Installation Problem ...

Dave Jarvis djarvis at invoqsystems.com
Tue Aug 10 19:59:30 UTC 2004

Hi, folks.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
-----------------------------
After a fresh install of Apache, PHP, and MySQL, I wanted to install
MediWiki for doing internal documentation.  Basically, I want to avoid
using M$ Word for living documents.

Using my Mandrake Linux machine, I attempted to install MediaWiki.  The
installation failed, and Google & MediaWiki have only shown me one other
person with this problem, without resolution.

PROBLEM TEXT
-----------------------------
# PHP 5.0.0: the MonoBook skin will be disabled due to an
incompatibility between the PHPTAL template library and PHP 5. The wiki
should function normally, but with the older look and feel.
# PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs
(index.php/Page_Title)
# Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
# PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
# No zlib support.
# Found ImageMagick: /usr/bin/convert; image thumbnailing will be
enabled if you enable uploads.
# Installation directory: /home/httpd/wiki
# Script URI path: /wiki
# Connected as root (automatic)
# Connected to database... 4.0.20; enabling MySQL 4 enhancements
# Database wikidb exists
# There are already MediaWiki tables in this database. Checking if
updates are needed...

...ipblocks is up to date.
...already have interwiki table
...indexes seem up to 20031107 standards
...have linkscc table.
...linkscc is up to date, or does not exist. Good.
...have hitcounter table.
Converting links table to ID-ID...
Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and cannot
contact the database server.

VERSION INFORMATION
-----------------------------
PHP 5.0.0 (cli) (built: Aug 10 2004 08:56:26)
Apache 2.0.50
WikiMedia 1.3.0beta6

DATABASE INFORMATION
-----------------------------
# mysqlshow
+-----------+
| Databases |
+-----------+
| wikidb    |
+-----------+

DEBUGGING INFORMATION
-----------------------------
# cat /tmp/wiki.log
DB connection error
Server: 192.168.168.234, User: wikiuser, Password: ...
Failed to connect to database 0 at 127.0.0.1
WARNING: Abrupt exit in /home/httpd/wiki/includes/Database.php at line 522
WARNING: Abrupt exit in /home/httpd/wiki/includes/Database.php at line 149
WARNING: Abrupt exit in /home/httpd/wiki/includes/LoadBalancer.php at
line 176
WARNING: Abrupt exit in /home/httpd/wiki/includes/LoadBalancer.php at
line 116
WARNING: Abrupt exit in /home/httpd/wiki/includes/LoadBalancer.php at
line 139
WARNING: Abrupt exit in /home/httpd/wiki/includes/DatabaseFunctions.php
at line 54
WARNING: Abrupt exit in /home/httpd/wiki/includes/DatabaseFunctions.php
at line 34
WARNING: Abrupt exit in /home/httpd/wiki/maintenance/convertLinks.inc at
line 34
WARNING: Abrupt exit in /home/httpd/wiki/config/index.php at line 459

ACTIVE DATABASE PROOF ;-)
-----------------------------
# telnet 127.0.0.1 3306
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
'
4.0.2011DCbDmu,^]
telnet> close

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated -- I want to show that M$ Word is
evil, especially when a vastly superior application is available.

<diatribe>
My apologies for the following brief diatribe. I think that a HOWTO
guide that shows, step-by-step, how to configure and install MediaWiki
from scratch on a typical Linux system would be priceless.  By "from
scratch" I mean, show how to install and configure the required versions of:

	- Apache
	- MySQL
	- PHP
	- MediaWiki

Granted there are MANY different scenarios, and specific configuration
possibilities, which is why I say "simple" and "typical" -- just enough
to get up and running.  An example HOWTO that illustrates what I mean by
a simple step-by-step document is at:

http://www.joot.com/dave/writings/articles/wireless-linux-howto.shtml
</diatribe>

Sincerely,