[WikiEN-l] Re: Nationalist POV-pushing on Wikpedia: what to do? (was Azerbaijan and Iran related articles)

Dan Drake dd at dandrake.com
Mon Aug 9 19:14:11 UTC 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 14:37:15 UTC, Jens Ropers
<ropers at ropersonline.com> wrote:

> IMHO nationalist POV has been a problem on Wikipedia for a LOOONG time:
> U.S. nationalist POV, that is.
>...[snip fine example of malicious idiocy from a US source]
> Really folks, I do rarely, in this day and age, ever see people whose
> moral compasses and standards of truthfulness are so *seriously* out of
> whack as a certain group of U.S. "patriots".

Really?  You don't follow the various Middle East discussions much, do
you?

> What I'm trying to say is that, _especially_ with the inherent pro-U.S.
> slant that's simply due to the large number of U.S. WP contributors,
> it's IMPOSSIBLE for "the rest of us" to go it alone in trying to
> balance things out. Given the said slant, I would like to appeal that
> seriously minded U.S. NPOVers _help wherever they can_ and -- keeping
> the above in mind -- always seek to apply _more_ restraint and a
> _stricter_ standard whenever there is a possible U.S. side to an issue.
> It's probably the only way we're going to get a lid on U.S. nationalist
> POV.

This, though, I have to consider a wee bit presumptuous.  This particular
list is infested with Americans, and I'm not sure I can even exhaust the
fingers of one hand in counting all those who are notably "conservative"
in the US sense, let alone rabid right-wing nationalists. The first one I
think of is no rabid nationalist, but a peace-maker.  As for the
hot-headed American who dismissed the above posting as another
anti-American rant: he contibuted, as apparently his most recent political
posting, a reply to some rabid nationalist loony concerning Michael Moore.
Perhaps what we really need is that all of us who reply to American
loonies (which I admit I don't often do because my main WP interests are
outside the polical-rants subjects) need to sign everything with "(US
citizen)".  Would that help the perception problem?

--
Dan Drake
dd at dandrake.com
http://www.dandrake.com

Whoever tries to imagine perfection simply reveals his own emptiness.
 --George Orwell