[WikiEN-l] Re: Recent changes patrol

Daniel P.B.Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Mon Aug 9 09:54:34 UTC 2004

> From: Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com>
>

> Neat! But who gets to mark an edit as "patrolled"? Letting an anon or
> new user
> do that would tend to defeat the purpose. Also, depending on a single
> person's
> judgment may be problematic as well. Ideally an article would need to
> be viewed
> by 3 non-newbies/anons to get the "patrolled" tag.

I don't think so. It's not as if marked articles would never be looked
at. The function of the feature, as I see it, is not to be technical
armor against bad behavior and bad faith, but to reduce Wikistress by
insuring that many eyes _do not_ look at new articles if many eyes are
not needed.

I think it's a very good idea. And it doesn't need to work perfectly in
order for it to work.

I don't think it will help dramatically, but I think it will help
noticeably.

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/