[WikiEN-l] Re: Possible exception to "1923 is OK" rule

Daniel P.B.Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Sat Aug 7 14:52:24 UTC 2004

From: Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>
> The EU generally follows a life plus 70 rule.  For quick reference I
> use
> the site http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/okbooks.html#whatpd

Thanks for reminding me of that link. When I was at the Boston meetup,
I mentioned to JamesDay that the UPenn site had a reference to a very
obscure possible exception to the 1923 rule, and that was it, or more
specifically

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/c-fineprint.html

It says that _possibly_ a work published within the juridiction of the
Ninth Circuit Court _might_ still be under copyright if a) The work was
first published on or after July 1, 1909 _and_ b) The work was never
published prior to 1923 with a copyright notice recognized by the US
_and_ c) The work was never published prior to 1923 in the United
States and maybe also d) the work had to be in a language other than
English.

Just in case anyone thought there were _any_ simple rules about
copyright law.

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/