[WikiEN-l] Re: Google ads and other ramblings by Chris

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Thu Aug 5 21:32:09 UTC 2004

see below :)

On 5 Aug 2004, at 22:32, wikien-l-request at Wikipedia.org wrote:

> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 00:29:00 +0530
> From: Hemanshu Desai <hemanshu.desai at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: Google ads and other ramblings by Chris
> To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at wikipedia.org>
>
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 07:20:02 -0700, Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales
> <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>>> Or mugs, mouse mats, tee shirts, or other merchandising?
>>>
>>> I'd buy a Wikipedia mug.
>>
>> We already have this:
>> http://www.cafeshops.com/wikipedia
>>
>> It brings in very very close to nothing.  I believe Erik told me when
>> I was in Berlin that we are getting close to the threshold for them to
>> cut us our first check of $100.  Something like that anyway, I'm sure
>> he'll clarify if this is materially wrong.
>>
>> --Jimbo
>>

> We already have it but not many know about it.
>
> Hemanshu

_Lower our margin_, I'd say.

Cafepress are very expensive to start with and to add another 5 quid on
top of their steep prices certainly doesn't help. Or look for an
alternative to Cafepress. But never worry folks -- at least the
Wikipaedia shop *IS* close to its first cheque. In my own shop, I've
had two sales in over a year -- earning me TWO quid!! Yay!!. (Then
again, my own website is not nearly as important as the Wikipedia. ;-)

Thanks and regards,
Jens Ropers

There are two types of IT techs: The ones who watch soap operas and the
ones who watch progress bars.
http://www.ropersonline.com/elmo/#108681741955837683