[WikiEN-l] Re: [fwd: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in-accurate history of Goa]

Frank francis.pinter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 21:28:39 UTC 2004

On Mon,  2 Aug 2004 22:30:30 +0000 (UTC),
wikien-l-request at wikipedia.org <wikien-l-request at wikipedia.org> wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:50:11 -0700
> From: "Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales" <jwales at wikia.com>
> Subject: [WikiEN-l] [fwd: Wikipedia,    the free encyclopedia in-accurate
>         history of Goa]
> To: wikien-l at wikimedia.org
>
> I have no opinion about this, I just forward it in case someone feels
> like looking at our articles.
>
> I informed the author that they could edit the site.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from . at .-----
>
> From: . at .
> Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
> To: jwales at bomis.com
> Subject: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in-accurate history of Goa
>
> Jimmy Wales,
>
> The following is an in-accurate account of my peoples history. We
> Goans till today are waiting for our true freedom. Please do some more
> research to display the truth on your web site.
>
> When India became independent in 1947, Goa remained Portuguese. The
> Indian government of Jawaharlal Nehru insisted that it, along with a
> few other minor Portuguese holdings, be turned over to
> India. Portugal, however, refused. France, which had also had small
> enclaves in India (most notably Pondicherry), gave them up. Portugal,
> however, amended its constitution to have Goa made a Portuguese
> province and refused to surrender it.
>
> Opinions within Goa were mixed. The port was profiting immensely from
> being a conduit of smuggled goods into India, the strong Roman
> Catholic faith of the inhabitants also led to some affinity for
> Portugal. Many of the people were pro-India, however, and a pro-Indian
> resistance group began operating in the territory. In 1955 an unarmed
> invasion was launched by a mass of Indians following the teachings of
> Gandhi. The Portuguese met them with force and 21 were reported
> killed.
>
> In the 1960s the World Court and the United Nations General Assembly
> both ruled in India's favour in the dispute. World public opinion was
> also turning against Portugal due to their brutal actions in
> Angola. The United States, however, remained supportive of its NATO
> ally and would not allow the UN Security Council to rule against
> Portugal.
>
> The Indians offered continued special treatment for the Portuguese in
> Goa and protection of the area's distinct culture, but still the
> Portuguese refused to negotiate. This was mostly out of concern for
> the situation in Angola, where any concessions in Goa would weaken
> Portugal's colonial hold.
>
> In December 1961 India, under pressure from public opinion, and
> foreign pressure from the rest of the third world to oppose
> colonialism, moved into Goa. Twenty Indians and 17 Portuguese were
> killed in the fighting, which lasted twenty-six hours.
>
> After annexation the area was under military rule for five months, but
> the previous civil service was soon restored and the area became a
> federally administered territory.

> [...]

Correct me if I'm wrong: Jimbo is the creator of Wikipedia, but it is
not "his site" anymore. The Wikipedia community has made it so much
larger that something like this shouldn't really be sent to Jimbo, it
should be posted on the talk page and/or the person can edit the page
directly (as Jimbo said.)

Wikiacc

--
Encoded with Double ROT13 - circumvention will be prosecuted!