[WikiEN-l] Re: British copyright law != American copyright law

Finlay McWalter finlay_wikipedia_94ac at mcwalter.net
Wed Aug 4 22:19:49 UTC 2004

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

> p.s.  I would be interested in gathering examples of content that (a)
> we ought to have in the encyclopedia on editorial grounds but that (b)
> would not be legal for us to host in the United States.

One entertaining example is satellite imagery of [[Area 51]].  Moreover,
  declassified CORONA and TERRA satellite images have either been "lost"
or have curiously vanished, even from Microsoft's Terraserver site.  I
regret not uploading the TERRA image earlier this year, when it still
was available.

So it might appear that other publishers, publishing unclassified
information in the US, have recently "elected" no longer to do so.

As an aside, if some American wikipedian were to submit a FOIA request
for CORONA (KH-4), TERRA, or better yet KH-11, imagery of 37°16'05" N
115°47'58" W - then I'm confident that would make for a great addition
to the article, and an interesting test of the lattitude afforded a US
publisher.

/me *double* wraps his head in tinfoil.
FIn