[WikiEN-l] [bhorrocks at npg.org.uk: National Portrait Gallery images on Wikipedia website]

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Wed Aug 4 19:54:19 UTC 2004

On 08/04/04 04:38, Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:
> It would please me greatly to be able to respond that their claims are
> preposterous.  Shall we research this carefully?

> From: "Bernard Horrocks" <bhorrocks at npg.org.uk>

> As we do not appear to have licensed copies of these portraits for use on your website, we wondered whether you would let us know the source from which you obtained the reproductions.

Fishing expedition. He wants us to provide evidence for his case.
If he was on secure legal ground, he'd name the images he considers
copyright violations.

Correct response: None. If you really want to help him, say that
if he thinks there are copyright violations, then under the DMCA
he should be naming them specifically.

i.e., shit or get off the pot.

He's trying to intimidate without actually making a claim. For some
reason, this sort of behaviour rouses my ire.

- d.