[WikiEN-l] Re: Wikipedia in the news

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Wed Aug 4 06:57:00 UTC 2004

Jimbo wrote:

>I am quite sure that many Democratic activists (perhaps the sort who
>like to call their political opponents "dumbasses", not naming any
>names here) will read our Bush article with similar joy, due to it
>naming some facts that these partisans feel are scandalous, but which
>Bush supporters may greet with either a yawn or even admiration.

For the record, I am not a Democratic activist. In 2000, I publicly
endorsed Ralph Nader's third-party campaign. (This time around, I
plan to vote for Kerry, but that doesn't make me a Democratic
activist any more than voting for Bush makes someone a Republican
activist.)

As for my use of the term "Republican dumbasses," it wasn't intended
to apply across the board to all Republicans. However, the person who
wrote the article for bushcountry.org (the article that mentioned
Wikipedia and thereby triggered this thread) deserves in my opinion
to be considered a dumbass. He's a dishonest dumbass because he
selectively presents information from the Wikipedia article to serve
his political agenda, interpolating his own editorial glosses in a
way that makes it sound as though his opinions have been taken from
Wikipedia. (If you simply read his dumbass article, for example, you
would come away with the false impression that Wikipedia says Kerry's
shooting of a Viet Cong soldier was either a war crime or a "sham.")
He's a racist dumbass because he uses the fact that Kerry had a
Jewish grandfather to insinuate that he isn't a true Catholic. He's a
provincial dumbass because he insinuates that there is something
sinister about having been born in France and because he thinks there
is something dangerous about being "influenced by Europeans." And
he's a narrow-minded dumbass because he insinuates that there is
something sinister about having a friend who is prominent in the
Green Party.

Of course, that's just my humble opinion.

--Sheldon Rampton