[WikiEN-l] Re: Wikipedia in the news

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Wed Aug 4 02:24:37 UTC 2004

Rick wrote:

>  This is a pretty good indication that our [[John Kerry]] article needs
>  SERIOUS NPOVing, since it's being praised by the Bush people:

I took a glance through the John Kerry article and thought it was
pretty good. I'm no expert on Kerry's background, so of course it is
possible that there are errors I didn't detect, but on the whole it
seemed to be a balanced assessment of the man and his career. The
Bush people may find it shocking that Kerry spent some time in France
as a youth and had a friend who became a leader of the Green Party,
but people who aren't totally dumbass Republicans will probably greet
that kind of revelation with big yawns.

I thought the description of his time in Vietnam was particularly
good. It gave a detailed but matter-of-fact description of the
battles in which he fought and the injuries that he experienced. The
article doesn't seem to be trying to build him up as a hero (which is
his campaign has been doing) or trash him for not having been injured
more severely (which is what the dumbass Republicans have been trying
to do).

I did sense some spottiness in the article's reporting on his career
in the U.S. Senate, but this didn't seem to stem from any particular
POV.

--Sheldon Rampton