[WikiEN-l] unfair blocking

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Aug 3 17:31:48 UTC 2004

Stormie wrote:

> Angela_ wrote:
>
>> Antonio, since you're a sysop you can unblock yourself. Make a note of
>> the IP that is blocked (the message you get when you try to edit will
>> tell you this). Then go to
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Ipblocklist, find that IP and
>> click the "unblock" link next to it.
>>
>> I expect the reason you are blocked is because you share an IP with an
>> AOL vandal.
>
> Well, according to the block log, the reason he was blocked is because
> he shares an IP with his father, who was blocked for "repeatedly
> recreating duplictate article despite repeated requests to stop."

There's something wrong in the tone of that response.  I have not looked
at the article but I do understand that it was a biographical article,
and the dispute was over whether the person's middle name should appear
in the title of the article.  The reference to "repeated requests to
stop" suggests that the person making those requests was operating on
the premise that the existing article was absolutely correct.  What
attempts did that person make to find a compromise solution?

Ec