[WikiEN-l] [fwd: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in-accurate history of Goa]

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Aug 2 20:50:11 UTC 2004

I have no opinion about this, I just forward it in case someone feels
like looking at our articles.

I informed the author that they could edit the site.

----- Forwarded message from . at .-----

From: . at .
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
To: jwales at bomis.com
Subject: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in-accurate history of Goa

Jimmy Wales,

The following is an in-accurate account of my peoples history. We
Goans till today are waiting for our true freedom. Please do some more
research to display the truth on your web site.

When India became independent in 1947, Goa remained Portuguese. The
Indian government of Jawaharlal Nehru insisted that it, along with a
few other minor Portuguese holdings, be turned over to
India. Portugal, however, refused. France, which had also had small
enclaves in India (most notably Pondicherry), gave them up. Portugal,
however, amended its constitution to have Goa made a Portuguese
province and refused to surrender it.

Opinions within Goa were mixed. The port was profiting immensely from
being a conduit of smuggled goods into India, the strong Roman
Catholic faith of the inhabitants also led to some affinity for
Portugal. Many of the people were pro-India, however, and a pro-Indian
resistance group began operating in the territory. In 1955 an unarmed
invasion was launched by a mass of Indians following the teachings of
Gandhi. The Portuguese met them with force and 21 were reported
killed.

In the 1960s the World Court and the United Nations General Assembly
both ruled in India's favour in the dispute. World public opinion was
also turning against Portugal due to their brutal actions in
Angola. The United States, however, remained supportive of its NATO
ally and would not allow the UN Security Council to rule against
Portugal.

The Indians offered continued special treatment for the Portuguese in
Goa and protection of the area's distinct culture, but still the
Portuguese refused to negotiate. This was mostly out of concern for
the situation in Angola, where any concessions in Goa would weaken
Portugal's colonial hold.

In December 1961 India, under pressure from public opinion, and
foreign pressure from the rest of the third world to oppose
colonialism, moved into Goa. Twenty Indians and 17 Portuguese were
killed in the fighting, which lasted twenty-six hours.

After annexation the area was under military rule for five months, but
the previous civil service was soon restored and the area became a
federally administered territory.