[WikiEN-l] Re: The proliferation of article series boxes, and other sundries

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 14:35:20 UTC 2004

I personally think that categories and box-style lists should just go
in the See Also as links.

I also think that hyperlinking words within the text gives the
richest content-correlation, and that the list or box models are at
best poor approximations.

I also would like people to consider that once an article is printed
on a piece of paper, the box-lists and categories become completely
useless.

Finally, I wonder whether the edit wars are taking more of a toll
among content-gatherers than on content-organizers. The proliferation
of such schemes as the series-boxes indicates to me that there's more
people doing organizing than people entering original information. I
would suggest that people who are now not interested in adding new
content to articles should go scour the web, libraries, and their
neighborood to beef up articles rather than organize all the flimsy
stubs into a highly polished hierarchy that becomes unwieldy and
forbidding to newscomers.

On an aside: I use XHTML and CSS. It's great for web, sucks for
everything else. I for one recommend wikisyntax over {span} and {div}
and {table} tags. I think ultimately we'll need to be able to have a
converter to TEX or LATEX via DocBook to allow for easy publishing.
This would be much easier to do with just wikisyintax.

=====
Christopher Mahan
chris_mahan at yahoo.com
818.943.1850 cell