[WikiEN-l] Wikilists and GDFL

Alex R. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Mon Sep 29 20:32:13 UTC 2003

From: "Jimmy Wales" <jwales at joey.bomis.com>

> I think the mailing lists are not GFDL.  They are in the same state as
> any normal mailing list anywhere, I guess.  Whatever that is!
>
> --Jimbo

Does it really matter? Will anyone be using these posts for anything
other than fair use citations (which are no doubt fairly broad).
Releasing under the GFDL does not make sense, already Google
has usenet lists archived and I have seen various mailing lists
available through various

What is the possible use of making it GFDL?  Is someone going
to publish a book of our various email discussions about various
problem users, etc.?

I would use the same argument regarding page histories,
 they are probably not under the GFDL as these are retired files,
 why would one want someone to cite an out of date version
 of an article when a new one might be available? It does not
say they are released under the GFDL on the page, so they
 may be covered by regular copyright law.

Alex756