[WikiEN-l] Re: Cooperation with EUobserver

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Sep 29 18:03:54 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:

>David-
>
>>Erik's description of the agreement isn't clear. Are we obligated to
>>cite EU Observer or do we just agree to cite them? If they put the text
>>in the public domain, we obviously don't _have_ to do anything, but I
>>can see how agreeing to cite them is nice. If so, I don't think _our_
>>agreeing to cite them has any bearing on further uses of Wikipedia content.
>>

>Well, if we don't cite them, they will simply cancel the agreement, and no
>further news summaries will be released to the public domain.

This sounds like a welcome agreement.  Like a lot of handshake
agreements it is based on the good-faith behaviour of the parties.  A
simple attribution showing "Originally based on ..." shouldn't be a
problem.  I suspect that only a small number of Wikipedians will be
doing the actual copying work anyway, and they would know the understanding.

Agreements of this sort are not based on developing a whole lot of
bureaucratic rules that need to be followed to the letter and enforced.

Ec