[WikiEN-l] Re: Banning processus

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Sep 26 06:58:02 UTC 2003

John Robinson wrote:

> You bet I was heated up, I still am.  However, after having read Tim's
> response and after some discussion I realized it was best to wait
> until Jimbo could get to the list and read the thread before
> continuing.  Sorry for not bringing that to the list earlier.
>
> I find it interesting though that of all the objections to banning
> this account I've seen here on the list and on various talk pages have
> been based solely on procedure.  I find nothing anywhere along the
> lines of "this person doesn't deserved to be banned, this person's not
> a troll, this person's a fine contributor"; what I mainly see is "we
> haven't discussed it enough yet."

Procedure is important.  At the same time procedure does not mean
endless discussion.  When a banning proposal is put to the mailing list
it is often to a lot of people who have never encountered the accused.
 It's easy for any two people to work on very different topic areas
without encountering each other in a project that's so big.  If you're
going to use the list to propose a ban you wan't to make sure that the
facts are documented, and that you lay them out.  If you don't you risk
being identified as a whiner.

Ec