[WikiEN-l] articles about Serbian history

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Sep 26 06:37:42 UTC 2003

Delirium wrote:

> Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:
>
>>> We really don't want links to this particular site
>>> because of its agenda.
>>> Fred
>>>

>> Well, then that's just because of its POV. We link to
>> POV sites.
>>

> I still think it's a bit sketchy, and things like this may hurt
> Wikipedia's credibility.  If, for example, the initial version of the
> Martin Luther King article was taken from a KKK site (under the GFDL),
> people would be rightfully skeptical of our editorial stance if it
> said at the bottom "this article incorporates text originally from [a
> KKK site]".  This seems likewise a bad idea to me, since it makes it
> far too easy for people, seeing the cited source, to simply dismiss
> Wikipedia as highly biased, even if the text has in fact been NPOVed
> in the meantime.

An article about MLK by the KKK would not last long.  Similarly, the
best thing to do with these Serbian history items is to edit them
severely,  Forbidding the article in the first place accomplishes
nothing except getting people upset.  The energy is better spent
editing.  Wikipedia's credibility is not much of an issue when something
doesn't last here for very long.

Ec