[WikiEN-l] Adam acting the ass again *sigh* (and he is only just back)

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 26 04:06:26 UTC 2003

I'm afraid Adam [name omitted for privacy reasons] is acting the ass again in exactly the same way as
he did before. He new stunt was to try to edit the [[Talk:List of
heterosexuals/delete (final archive)]] page.

For people who may not know, to preserve long debates that used to be moved
to talk pages from the VfD but which then ended up deleted if the article
and talk page were both deleted, and to avoid the problem of inconclusive
delete debates on talk pages, where the debate got sidetracked as debates on
deletion and on the article blurred together, a recent innovation is now
being used by increasing numbers. A special /delete page is created and
attached to the talk page. A set of rules are followed:

1. /All/ the delete debate is focused there, not on the talk page.

2. A strict timetable is followed. The article is created on 'x'. A decision
is taken on 'x + 7' meaning that debates no longer meander on for ever but
are decided at the end of a week.

3. The /delete page is kept, even if the article and talk page isn't, and
preserved on a page linked to the VfD page, meaning that we will now have a
back archive of these debates for people researching the history of wiki to
review.

4. Once the page being debated is deleted, the debate ends, the page ceases
to be 'live' and becomes a record of the debate that decided the issue.

Everyone has been following this. All debates have ended when a decision was
taken. But Adam, in one of his tantrum-throwing spoiled child moods, decided
as so often in the past that he wants to be above the rules. The vote on
that page ran from 31 August to 8 September. 70%+ voted to delete the
article. It was deleted, then the /delete page closed, archived and linked
to the [[Archived delete debates]] on the VfD page. Adam however doctored
the archive page to add in his vote and comments, weeks after the page was
closed. I reverted back the archive version that has been sitting there
untouched for weeks. Adam again doctored the page. Ed Poor protected it but
inadvertently preserved the wrong version. I corrected to the archive
version that everyone had originally signed off on and left the protection.

Adam is now going ballistic, throwing accusations of censorship and
bizarrely demanding the right to vote in a vote that finished on 8th
September as to whether to delete a page that was deleted on the 8th of
September. It is so bizarre it is like an episode of Fawlty Towers. He is
alone complaining on the [[Problem Users]] page, where no-one has supported
him and he has been attacked for his behaviour by RickK, Angela, and Cyan.
(I also commented.)

However, all past experience of Adam is that he starts off like that and
keeps at it, childishly setting off edit wars the way some children set off
fire alarms. We all expected that /this/ time he would stop acting the ass
and grow up. It doesn't say much for the future when within days of
returning he is acting /exactly/ as he did as Lir, as Vera, as Susan Mason,
as Dietary Fiber, as Pizza Puzzle, etc.

This behaviour has got to be nipped in the bud immediately or we are going
to have weeks if not months of it, as he plays his little games. I was one
of the first to say Adam should be allowed back, but that was only if he
behaved himself.

IMHO Jimbo, he needs to be told clearly, unambiguously and explicitly - STOP
THIS NOW. Any more antics like that, any more returning to the spoiled child
antics and you will be banned immediately, permanently and for life. No more
warnings. You are back because people, even after all they put up with
before, agreed to give you /one/ more chance. But even the slightest whiff
of your old foot-stomping 'I want my way' screwing around with articles and
you are gone for good.

That /has/ to explicitly spelt out to him now, not one week or one month
later when he has done it 5, 10 or 20 times elsewhere. Wiki doesn't need to
have to put up with Adam acting the ass again if that is his game plan. And
his behaviour on this one article tonight suggests that he has every
intention of acting as before and thinking he can get away with it. He needs
to know, bluntly and directly, that he cannot, ever again.

And for the record, I don't want Adam banned. But he has to stop acting like
a spoiled 9 year old throwing tantrums and seeing how many fights he can
start. Adam has shown for long enough that 'softly softly' doesn't work with
him. The rules have to spelt out to him unambiguously and forceably.

JT