[WikiEN-l] Banning processus

Alex R. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 25 03:06:42 UTC 2003

From: "Daniel Ehrenberg" <littledanehren at yahoo.com>

> What are you talking about? I think that the process
> is too bureaucratic. It usually takes 2 weeks to a
> month to ban someone. EntmootOfTrolls was discussed
> atleast 2 weeks ago, maybe before that. Same with
> BudhaInside. And those people haven't even been banned
> yet.

Hephaestos stated (and Anthere replied) that he was going
to ban Mr/Ms.. Inside in 24 hours from a notice he posted here
and on the corresponding problem user page and that unless
anyone objected he would do so.

Any time periods for making such a decision should be
taken from some point. I was stating that Heph.'s  24 hour
consulation period is way too short and thus I am agreeing
with you and the process. Indeed it is Jimbo that must
do the banning not Hephaestos and maybe his statement
to that effect gets the ball rolling, but I do not think it is
a good idea for someone to give a 24 hour deadline
as a time frame to create a consensus. That is not a
sufficient period of time to give the whole community
notice for any kind of decison making.

I should point out, however, that I find the activity of
the person in question to be very frustrating and
time consuming and understand Heph's frustration
and his need to make such a demand  to the community.
But up to this point many have seen Mr/Ms.. Inside as
being a problem user, not someone who necessarily
needed to be banned. I think that creates a difference
in the minds of some people. It certain seemed to me
that s/ he is a problem user, but maybe s/he was just just
a newbie with a very unique idea of Wikipedia. I too
think the user in question should be banned as a
recidivist troublemaker (at least temporarily until
s/he gets some perspective on what Wikipedia is
all about).

Alex756