[WikiEN-l] Banning processus

Alex R. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Wed Sep 24 14:21:11 UTC 2003

From: "Anthere" <anthere6 at yahoo.com>

> I fear very much, that just because people were given
> technological tools to fight against very very very
> problematic users such as Michael, we will go solving
> issues that are not dramatic by just quietly saying
> "If no one speaks against, in 24 hours, I hit the
> button". And accumulate in a short time, far more
> banning than there ever was since the beginning of the
> project, under the benevolent rule of Jimbo (was that
> enough ? :-)).

24 hours is a very short time in the world of entitlement
decision-making.  While there may be some merit to
the argument that swift action is needed, such a drastic
action should entail some kind of discussion process
allowing for some "reasonable period" of input from
various volunteers, including the opportunity for
those providing input to revise their vote (since it
is a transparent process people should be allowed to
change their minds if the discussion demonstrates
the alternate decision, that shows that there is merit
to this kind of wiki based decisionmaking process
and it validates an fundamental advantage of using
the wiki as social software in the development of
the Association of Wikipedians (not to be confused
with the Wikimedia Foundation).

Alex756